The news casters always used to focus on the language and content. Their voice quality and literary language always used to build a strong image in the mind of viewers. But currently newscasters are using teasing statements and sizzling headlines in the news bulletins just to attract the target masses. Is it justified to guide the public in such mocking and scorching way? Discuss and justify your answer with the help of arguments.
Solution: It is not justifed to mock to target masses. New Caster should
- Always clearly identify yourself as a reporter whenever you’re interviewing someone. Never try to deceive or mislead anyone.
Always make it clear to people you’re interviewing that you’re writing an article that could be published. Always be polite and courteous with people you’re interviewing, even if they are not. Never get into verbal or physical confrontations with people you’re interviewing. If someone you’re interviewing becomes agitated or threatening, leave immediately. Never state your opinions or inject yourself into any event you cover, such as protests, rallies or public comment forums. As a reporter you’re there as a professional observer, not a participant
Mass Media in Pakistan
Department of Mass Communication
Virtual University of Pakistan
Role of Mass Media
- To develop the understanding of information sources.
- To develop the analytical skills.
In Pakistan, mass media is considered a source of guidance and opinion maker of the society. Every one of us is fully aware of the power that media enjoys but still media claims that press is not free.
In this regard, you are required to go through daily newspapers “Dawn” and “The News” and to analyze and compare the coverage of political issues in these newspapers. Justify your analysis with the help of two issues related to politics of Pakistan.
You have to do analysis and discussion on the basis of following points:
- Effect of the ownership, mission statements or declared media policy if any on the coverage of the said issue
- Objectivity in the coverage and discussion
- Sensationalism in the coverage of issues
- Exaggeration of news events
There are many internal and external factors that created those circumstances which results the Fall of Dhaka. People witnessed that both East and West Pakistan got indulged in various conflicts and skirmishes. The main and the most prominent cause of tension is that the two integral parts of Pakistan were divided by 1000 miles of Indian Territory and with no land
MCM304 Mass Media in PakistanVU
corridor to link the two provinces, which finally became the real dispute behind the Fall of Dhaka.
Keeping in view the crisis of 1971, you are required to analyze the role of Mass Media in shaping the tragedies of 1971.
Students will be able to:
- Analyze the role of mass media in crisis
- Identify the issues in 1971 Crisis
- Note: Copied material will be graded “Zero”.
Opening Date and Time
April 25, 2017 12:01 A.M. (Mid-Night)
Due Date and Time
May 2, 2017 At 11:59 P.M. (Mid-Night)
Note: Only in the case of Assignment, 24 Hrs extra / grace period after the above mentioned due date is usually available to overcome uploading difficulties which may be faced by the students on last date. This extra time should only be used to meet the emergencies and above mentioned due dates should always be treated as final to avoid any inconvenience.
Please read the following instructions carefully before attempting the assignment solution.
- Make sure that you upload the solution file before the due date. No assignment will be
accepted through e-mail once the solution has been uploaded by the instructor.Formatting guidelines:
- Use the font style “Times New Roman” and font size “12”.
- It is advised to compose your document in MS-Word 2003.
- Use black and blue font colors only.
MCM304 Mass Media in PakistanVU
- Every student will work individually and has to write in the form of an analytical assignment.
- Give the answer according to question, there will be negative marking for irrelevant material.
- For acquiring the relevant knowledge don’t rely only on handouts but watch the video lectures and use other reference books also.
Rules for Marking:
Please note that your assignment will not be graded or graded as Zero (0) if:
- It has been submitted after due date
- The file you uploaded does not open or is corrupt